Saturday, November 7, 2009

When Force meets Nonviolent resistence

Dear Friend,

When I reflected on today's activities, I thought of Walter Wink's book: "Jesus Christ: A Third way- Non violence." In his book, Wink describes the call to action through phrases like "walk the extra mile" and "to turn the other cheek, not as passive acts, but as agressive moves in the face of the Roman Empire.Today was to be loosely configured. We'd see how the day unfolded and go with the wind. I took my usual early morning walk down to Manger Square and back to the hotel. I stopped for some mint tea. As I emerged from Paul VI Street into the Square, I was unaware how quickly the day would take shape. Something told me that I should take the bus to Hebron and stop off at Daher's Orchard at the 7 Km marker. As I got on board, I decided to let Amal and Daher know I was coming and to unlock the gate. I was unable to reach Daher at the farm, and called Amal as a backup.

I reached her at the hospital where she works as a physiotherapist for young babies. She sounded frantic and disturbed on the phone. Without a whole lot of wasted words, I learned that the Army had visited the land yesterday, and two soldiers leaped the fence and confronted Daher, and issued him a warning that he could no longer live on the land, and that his family should leave immediately. Papers would follow in two days they were told. I was on my way to the farm as it was predestined. Hang on Bill, once again!

I began thinking about what I might do. I could contact the Interfaith Peacebuilders group that was just here last Sunday and were still in the country. I could contact the U.S Consulate who have visited the land, though with a different set of officers. I could go and just be present as an American citizen which is what I finally concluded. I got off at the entrance to Neve Daniel, the Settlement closest to the Nassar Farm. The Palestinian bus I got off was full, and the road connection led to the settlement, next to the path to the farm. I wondered if any one on the bus would watch which road I would take. I intentionally walked in the direction of the dirt road, so as to avoid judgement by the passengers. But did they really care that I might be a settler or not? As Iooked at the rear bus window and crossed the busy highway, I saw a face peer out the rear window. I felt vindicated by my choice.

I called to Daher by phone to meet me at the gate. He walked down and greeted me as always with a wonderfully warm "Marhaba!" I was home again. He then told me personally what Amal had shared over the phone. He emphasized his response with "I would not leave my land and that I had lived on the land longer than his Captain and he and lived from birth." As always his retort was not in anger or hatred. It was the same persistent response of "Our land is our mother, and our mother is not for sale." Daoud's wife was there also, and a group of American travelers with Daher. Also present were two members of the Ecumenical Accompaniament Program. They are the real heroes outside of the inhabitants of both sides of the wall. I had met Andres yesterday at the village of Masara at the demonstration. He is a former oncologist on a three month assignment with the program. These volunteers are stationed at the checkpoints to bring an international prescence, particularly, but not solely, at the Bethlehem Gate. They are saints, and no doubt much more aggressiveness would go on at the check point if they were not there. Their stories about the brutality and the manipulations by the young soldiers is horrifying. IF the world only knew of the inhumanity that goes on everyday for Palestinians, and the costs to Israeli soul, there would be a peace with justice in a matter of days.
Maria, a church of Norway pastor, also an EAP person, was appalled at what she had seen in the first days of her assignment. No doubt she will have many powerful sermons to share with her parishoners. ThE EAP volunteers have only been in the country for a week. They were also present for the Nassars. I do not know who called them. But the were there.

Jihan was very busy preparing the meal for the visitors, and working in the gift shop when I walked up the hill from the gate with Daher. We took a few minutes to talk. She had desperately tried to reach me yesterday, but my phone was off during the demonstration. I had missed her call.

When the visiting group returned from their tour of the farm in time for lunch, I recognized Father Jacek of the Francisans at St. Camillas in D.C, a group we had visited last April when Daoud was in D.C. It is a small world we live in. The timing was good. They heard, first hand of the lastest incursion by the soldiers, two weeks ago as well as what happened the day before. They no doubt would share what they saw and what they heard when they returned home. Ah, another resource. Strength was building.

I was also able to make sure travelers received a handout about our Fotonna organization and explained how we are supporting Tent of Nations and the Nassar family. Soon afterwards, I went off to walk the land and clear my head from the events of the morning, and the hectic street life of Bethlehem. I was gone for an hour, and felt refreshed by the hike, and angry at the settlement across the canyon with its bright red tile roofs and SW stucco facade. I noted that since '07, that settlement had expanded to nearly twice the size. So much for the freeze on expansions we hear talked about since before Sharon's last days. I quickly checked the trees we had planted two years ago for our Fotonna families. Bill Mims, colleague and friend, noted last year that the George Bush tree perished last November (hMMMM?) The replanted Bush bush of a year ago, was not doing quite as well as the Obama tree that I had planted only yesterday. The Obama Peace tree was twice as big already!

As I climbed the several hundred feet to the top of hill, I aked the German volunteer if I could climb down the ladder into the new sistern she was diggging to collect the needed winter rains. As I went below the ground I wondered how safe being below ground was. Daher assured me the ceiling was stronger than the walls that were being hewed out, and made way for the badly needed water. I trusted him, but also gained a huge amount of appreciation for the international volunteers who do much of the labor on the farm. They are wonderful young people and their period contagious. I was glad to take a few wacks at the wall and ascend the ladder to clear air and sunshine. I wouldn't be a good miner.

No sooner had I climbed out of the sistern, but I saw another international group with a few Americans in tow. Ah ha! Another opportunity to gain support and provide ways for them to become friends of Tent of Nations. In one day, there were over forty such folks seeing the injustice of the illegal settlements surrounding the little farm with a grand spirit and the bright light of justice. No guns could ultimately dim such a beacon. My fear of the jeeps and the U.S equipped and funded soldiers diminished.

2 comments:

music not war said...

Bless you, Coach... no one else could have done something like that. To recite you poem to those young soldiers. What a great idea!

Bill said...

Thanks Bill. I am merely an instrument.