Monday, November 2, 2009

From the city of Siderot to Bethlehem

Much time has passed since I left D.C last Wednesday. I have been on the move since then, with little access to internet. This trip is very different from any I have been on. All the others were more formal, either Iwas traveling on a delegation, or attending a conference. The only fixed poin, prior to my trip, was my attempt to join the Interfaith Peace Builder's Tour group in Jerusalem on the 28th of October. I wound up in different hotel nearby them that night, which worked out well, actually.

The next morning we travelled together to a rural kibbutz near Gaza- Zikim and heard from a spokesman there who shared the history of his kibbutz. He is an American from San Francisco who was disillusioned with life in the States during the 60's, and looked for a new start in Israel in 1967. His empathy with the plight of the Gazans was powerfully told. He exposed the human side of the war, and shared how his Kibbutz had depended upon the labor from Gaza for labor for years, to do labor on their farms. They also were nostalgic about the happy days that had shared with them, attending each others' weddings and celebrations

I had a wonderful day, also with the Interfaith Peacebuilders group on a tour in the south to the city of Achelon, just north of Gaza as well as yo Erez Gate at Gaza and nearby Sederot. By far, hearing the story of Nomika Zion, and Israeli activist from "The other Voice" and her neigbhor, Erik Yellin,talk about their experiences with the Kassam rocket attacks, was stirring. Nomika, wrote the article that we received last year called 'Not in my name". (I recommend checking it out on the web if you haven't read it. It was a courageous act on her part. Being a peace and justice advocate is a lonely job in her area of the world. ) It was a letter addressed to the world, calling for an end to the bloodshed in Gaza, and sending a mesage that what occured there was not Jewish. I remember reading it and being stirred by her courage amongst a very hostile community, who interpreted her act as treasonous. The story of the neighbor, whose house and family were hit by a random rocket, was equally chilling. But still, both thought the incursion by the troops, and the incessant bombing, was not justified. They though such actions would only incurr more violence. They both called on us as Americans to complain to our government, register support for Gladstone report, call for sanctions that would end the support for such atrocities, and to save us from ourselves."

Yaniv, a member of Combatants for Peace who visited in our church last April, picked me up soon from the home of Namika and we drove south to his father's farm or "Maschad". It is not a kibbutz in that members of the community are permitted to make a profit though can gain help from the community if times get difficult. I joined the whole family that night to celebrate "shabot' along with seventeen other family members. It was a wonderful experience, and I of course, had a great time with the seven or more children who quickly enticed me away to play with them. I wish I had brought my "love you forever Book". The south of Israel, The Negeve Desert, is really beautiful, and quite isolated from the rest the world. It is easy to forget about "the other" and for that moment, that there was even an occupation going on..

The time with Yanif was special too. We had met him last spring on the Combatant for Peace tour. He was an Israeli soldier who layed down his weapon. I think I wrote about it in last year's blog. He invited me to his Mashad west of Gaza. His family had a farm there and he built his own home out of discarded materials. It was an experience just to spend the night there. He is a young man of 37 years, close in age to my own sons. We were kindred spirits, and enjoyed each other'company. I admire his courage to speak out in his community about violence. His family's support for him was inspiring too, though the come from a different era. Towards the end of the stay with him, we took a walk in the fields surrounding his village and he shared his early years as child, and time with children in the nearby Arab village. Those were wonderful memories, as he and his Arab and Jewish friends roamed the expansive free space that surrounded them. He drove me to the Bus Stop, and saw me aboard as I headed back after sabbath and sundown to Jerusalem where Iwould spend the night, before heading out the next morning for breakfast with my friend Daoud and his family in Beit Jala, outside of Bethlehem.

There in Beit Jala, I met Tony, Daoud's brother, and bumped into Christy Reiners, a fellow Presbyterian, and leader of my second tour with the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship. She was heading towards a bus stop just a few feet from where Daoud let me office. This is a truly a small planet and a small place. The Interfaith Peace Builders group was at Daher's orchard so it was perfect timing for me to talk about Fotonna and the work we were doing to support Daoud and his family. I wish I had a couple of copies of Mark Braverman's book, The Fatal Embrace" and copies of the resource guide "Steadfast Hope: A Palestinian Quest for Peace" to distribute. While Douad wasn't able to be there with the group, the setting alone was all the group needed to conclude that it was a worthwhile project. Brother Daher and his sister, spoke from their hearts, a powerfuls story of persistence and courage.

I checked out the olive trees we had planted last year and they are beginning to mature. I also planted a tree for Obama, and plan to send a picture of it to him and an appeal to end the settlement expansions which are eating up Palestinian land by the acres each. It is human tragedy.

I am now in Bethlehem. Having a shower and clean clothes was a blessing. I must close for now. The trip has been rich and stimulating. Another amazing experience. I am grateful for my good friends here. Love, Bill

No comments: