Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Don't Bother me, I Live in Bethlehem!

Hi!
Just walked back through the now deserted part of the old city of Bethlehem, from Manger square, (because all the shops close at sunset) where I had a glass of wine with a good friend here. The discussion we had was around how does one support the local people who are doing some amazing activities, while not interfering with the local politics. What I learned again was how important it is that any partnership should be a mutual affair; meaning both sides are equal partners in any venture together. For myself, I learned that I need to begin linking people and groups at home with small grassroots projects that are all about relationships. Supporting a young man with a degree in Sports fitness and no job, with teenagers who have nothing to do with their time, is a good investment.

This morning I had traveled back the 7 kms to Daoud's farm via the local bus, and then hiked the mile from the highway past the settlements, up the hill and into the valley below where the farm is. There I found a group from the States there with Jihan, hearing the famlies' story, and a group of German, Canadian and Swedish youth digging a sistern for water. What a place to be! I wheeled a barrel of rocks brought out from the 15 feet hole where two women volunteers were chopping and chipping the stone just to feel a part of the ambiance.

I moved on to quickly take pictures of the developments on land and the Obama Olive tree I planted for him yesterday. Daoud and Jihan have dug out a six foot deep hole in the ground and built a home for themselves which is not visible from Israeli air surveilance. It is complete with two bedroom, a kitchen and bath, all undergroudn. They are anticipating getting cut off from Bethlehem very soon.

Daher, Daoud's brother,drove me down into the village past the women's center that our church supports, as I wanted to capture a picture of the beginnings of a new wall that will separate Daoud from the village, before returning to Bet Jala and lunch with Jihan and her kids. I listened to the girls each play the piano, and played Spider Man with young, five year old Bishara. They filled a void for me that I miss with my own grandchildren.

I have met several individuals these last two days who are doing some amazing activities with needy youth. I have lots of ideas how are church and others can provide support these folks with very little money. I need to read Three Cups of Tea. Mortensen is a great model for partnership development though I hear some of his schools are being destroyed. I wonder how his relationships are?

I really wish I had a few more weeks here, as it is there is just one to go and I am just feeling comfortable in the community. Bethlehem, in its simplest form, and away from the tourism frenzy, is really a lovely little town. I find the people always willing to help me, and do I need it. The Arabic phrase I learned today when near the church of Nativity area is Onnn Ish Hon. Which means, I am from here! (don't bother me with trinkets).

No comments: