Saturday, November 30, 2013

IMPRESSIONS OF HOPE AND CHANGE IN THE LAND


I arrived tired but safely to my hotel after a long flight of 11 hours, and shuttle
to Jerusalem,  public bus with back back to Bethlehem, a hike to the hotel up the
hill, and then down to Manger Square and the Nassar family reception in their home nearby, and returning to my hotel room thoughtfully provided for me by friends there.  Now, the bodily and cultural adjustments that are inevitable.

Spending time with the Nassar family on Friday, by going to many of their music rehearsals during their day off on Fridays was a pleasure.  They are such a talented trio.  I like witnessing their growth and musical skills and appreciation.  Daoud returns today, and I'll give them some space before joining them at a piano concert that Shadin will offer this evening. 

My impressions of the Bethlehem are that they continue to normalize the occupation in their life here,almost a given these days.  I hear the peace delegation from Palestine walked out on the talks.  I think that is for the better as they will surely lose more in any kind of settlement, for that is the Israeli/US
way.  Life as an occupied people is a better alternative, as the Israelis are required to "care for them'.  NOW THAT they have access to the International court, they should demand that the Israelis truly take care of them by
providing them with the human rights they are owed.

I am looking forward to the next few days, particularly in teaching a class on conflict resolution with the women of the village, along with Jihan on Monday.B

No comments: