Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Worship in Community in the Wider Sense

Sunday, was truly dedicated to worship, rest and "Family" time. "Family time would take on new meaning, as you will see. I really missed the spiritual pilgrimage that is possible through the visits to the Holy places. However, I have learned to appreciate the "living stones" more than the "the dead stones" that often attract us there in the first place. For in those living spaces, God is truly present for me. It's for that selfish reason that I take these trips.

I joined the Nassar family for worship at their church the Christmas Church, located a few yards from where I was staying. As I entered the square, I saw Tony and his mother moving in the same direction, and joined them inside the church, in same pew. Afterall, this was their place of worship and for me, though I have joined in on a couple of occasions with the simul-cast broadcasts between with National Cathedral and the Christmas Church during the Advent season, seeing it in person, made the final connection. This was the real deal.

As I gazed around the room before worship began, I saw the wonderful stained windows and in particular, the one in the dome of the ceiling with Arabic script. Jihan Nassar informed me later that her father had attended that church and as an artist,
has done the caligraphy around that centerpiece in Arabic. The second of many connections for the morning. The pastor had been very active in supporting overtures from Presbyteries, favoring an end of the occupation publically, and actively, at the General Assembly (PCUSA)in Minneapolis this past summer. I had heard him speak as a witness and key note speaker at a variety of venues. It is a different experience seeing him in his own pulpit with his people.

As I gazed around, I saw the coordinator for the Middle East Programs (PCUSA), our mission worker in the region, and the director for Compassion, Peace and Justice (PCUSA), in the first pew. Though I had only seen them at GA also in 2008 as a commissioner, I was able to recognize them as prominent people. I was feeling more at home in this church than I thought I would. May be even a truer representation of the body of Christ in a global sense than I am use to feeling.

Moments before the service began, I saw, two pews up, a colleague and supporter of Tent of Nations, sitting with a row full of young men. His organization had provided water pumps for the new cisterns, as well as library shelves and books for the Women's Center in Nahalin. After the service, I learned that the young men, were active church leaders from large Evangelical Christian churches across the country. They were apparently on a week-long alternative tour of the holy land which included such experiences as visiting the refugee camps, meeting with Archbishop Chicour of the Melkite Church, and witnessing East Jerusalem's Sheik Jerrar neighborhood where Palestinian families have been ousted from their family homes by orthodox settlers. They had had a very disburbing and transforming experience which I would also learn later after worship. With all this going, it took awhile to "center".

But once I did, I found the bi-cultural experience in Arabic and English really worshipful. One of the scripture readings from Paul's letter to the Romans demands more attention when I get home. I distinctly remember hearing that "Hope is not something you can see", and if you can, it is not hope- at least God's hope for the world. Not being able to see it, at the moment, I found such a framework helpful. At the close of the sermon which was in Arabic, I wondered what scripture he chose to use for his message. It turns out, he didn't reference this one, but rather the creation text from the old testament. He referred me to Jihan after the service for her interpretation.

After worship, there was a gathering on the deck of the church, just above the market place which was a buzz with Muslims preparing for the Feast holiday in two days. I gravitated over to the young pastors, and together with Daher and Jihan, and support from the group leader, we were able to invite them to visit the Farm on the following day, on their way to Hebron. More of that story later.

With further conversations with the Louisville church representatives, we were also to share the work of Tent of Nations, which sparked their interests as they are presently preparing a trip for some of the senior staff who will be traveling in the Winter to the Holy Lands. The time was right, and God was hard at work. I struggled to hang on once again for another wild ride. There are no coincidences in my life, and signs of hope for a just peace through God's plan, not ours. Yes, hope unseen.

The rest of the afternoon was with the entire Nassar clan at Tony and Isreen's house in Beit Jala. After a wonderful meal in their home, and the traditional Arabic hospitality which comforts the visitor, I felt it had been a good day. The sounds of young children were also comforting, at least for the first couple of hours. While I truly loved playing with them throughout the afternoon, I understood once again, why we have children when we are young. The connections with the family created a cushion of support than I found comfortable and the most beautiful part of my experience during the entire three weeks. Afterall, it really is about relationships, and oh yes, connections. I feel connected.

No comments: