Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Second Day with my Friends from Trinity/Arlington

After breakfast on Wednesday, we went to Dar Kalima, the Lutheran school where the Nassar kids go to school, and Tony, Daoud's brother was there too! I had no idea we were going to their school until I saw Tony, as assistant Principal, walked in the room. THe Nassars are all over the place! I saw Daoud's children, Shadin and Nardine in their classes and that was great surprise too! WE walked over to the new University of Aliya, and did an informal tour before heading to see the wall at Rachel's tomb, as I had requested. The appearance of the 28 ft. wall, paid for by the US was overwhelming for everyone. Until you have seen it for yourself, it's hard to imagine.

Following a a spontaneous informal meeting with Zoughby Zoughby of the Wi'am Center for Conflict Resolution and Non-violence ( I recognized the building and dashed over to see if anyone could see our group on such a short notice. They invited us in for tea, and welcomed our pocketbooks to the gift shop and check out the needlework of the local women. The purchases are for a good cause, and not lost on the racket that the tour drivers and guides thrive on THe surprise visit worked out great for all, and was another glimpse for the group, of yet another group working for a just peace through non violent means. WE then travelled to Efrat and went to the home of settler Bob Lang from New York who had been in the settlement for nearly 30 years. ( I had nicked named him "Builder Bob" for he supported increasing the population in the region of Samaria and Judea as a right to their history in the region. He spun his tale and of course "was open to all questions" for which he had all the answers. His presentation was well planned, and clearly, this was not his first time with visitors, as he incorporated nearly every question we might have had, had we had a chance to ask them. I am sorry I didn't tape it! The experience will fuel other posts I know.

WE then toured Dehesheih Camp, the largest camp in the Bethlehem area. THe United Nations which has jurisdiction over the camp, had shut down all its schools and health centers for the more than 12,000 refugees within its walls. Trash had not been collected either for the last 25 days. The horrible conditions of the camp have existed for some since its origins in 1948. The site was very disturbing for all of us. WE left after hearing the overview, and taking the short walk through the camp. On their way to Jerusalem, the group bus driver left me off at the Cinema Rd in Bethlehem and after saying how grateful I was for their visit, I bid them farewell and walked up the hill to my room. It was really wonderful to share time with members of my church community who had heard my story and that of others for the alst five years, and made the committment to come see for themselves. As was for me, their lives will never quite be the same. B.

No comments: