Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Land of Love, Care and Courage

Dear friends,

This will be a short report, as I need to return by bus from Ramullah to meet with the directors of the Ibdaa Health Committee in Deheisheh Refugee camp. I have had wonderfu rentry to the country from Jordan, and spent the night with my host family who insisted I stay with them last night. We had lunch which was wonderfully prepared, and the encouraged to take a nap. For me this was a welcomed activity as it had taken me six hours to negotiate the travel from Amman to Bethelehem through the check points. I waited anxiously at the border while the Iserali security held my passport and, sent numerous soldiers to interview me with many of the same questions. I thought for awhile I would be denied entry.

So, a nap was welcomed. The family planned to include me on a Saturday night tradition, of staying up until mid night when the hot bread was prepared, before hitting the streets the next day. It was worth waiting for as we sang songs (not me - played my harp to a new middle easter sound) to the beat of a egyptian aoud (11 strings) and celebrations by all of the extended family of some 12 people, and me. Got up early and went to the Church of Nativity and joined in on a Roman Catholic service where I meditated by calling to focus all the faces of people I have met these last two weeks. It was a review of some special moments. The generosity of the people I have met on the streets and in the homes as been overwhelming. I am grateful for their love.

I will try to write one more time when I reach Jordan on Tuesday night. I will leave in the morning to plant olive trees for a farmer whose land is about to be sucked up by the settlers. Each you will who follow me wherever I go, will have a tree in your name. The Presbyterian Felllowship companions have launched me on this mission. I am but a vehicle. Love, Bill

4 comments:

music not war said...

Bill, well, if you are only a vehicle, you are surely the Prius of vehicles!

Would you plant a tree for my granddaughter, Malina?

I heard Mark preach today, and I heard Daoud read from the Gospels in Arabic, and in English. What an experience!
Peace,
Bill M.

Bill said...

Bill - May your olive trees grow for many generations as part of Daoud's family farm!

See you on Wednesday. Miss you.

Love - Kay

Bill said...

Hi Bill,

I actually planted 12 trees at Beit Omar with children of the village on behalf of Presbyterian Peace Fellowship. This morning I planted 9 trees at Daher's Vineyard, one for each member of my family. I also did one for you, and photographed it for you. You can name it for Molina. In the photo, which you won't receive, as I lost my camera today after several bus rides from Nehaline, a tax ride by an Israeli cab, the shuttle across Allenby after indifference at best with the Israeli border patrol. In the confusion of it all, I lost sight of my camera. That's not so bad, but it had 100 hundred really wonderful pictures of my experience. I haven't told Kay yet, but will when I return home. I had been really good about managing all the various logistics of the travel up until the last moment, when I was tired, exhausted from the day on the farm with Daher, planting,pruning and feeding the animals. It was a great day and that is what I will remember. So Molina is on the hill facing the settlement of Nueve Daniel. I also bought and planted a tree for George Bush. Too bad the pictures won't show the sign I made for you and then for George.

I arrived this evening, expecting to leave in the morning, but my flight was delayed 8 hours. I arrive at New York at mid night Wed. See you in a few days. Thanks for your faithfulness on this trip. Peace, Bill

Bill said...

Hi Kay,

Thanks for the wishes. I planted trees for our whole family, and one for Bill. I also planted one for George Bush. I feel he needed one too.

My flight doesn't get into New York until midnight, and finding a flight is unlikely at that hour to D.C. Will probably have to hang out at the airport unitil the first American flight in the morning. Love, Bill