Tuesday, December 11, 2007

And the Olive Trees of Daher's

Whoops! I lost the blog, but will continue.

So, the planting at the "fence" was a real celebration, and documented by the group with pictures. That portion of the land will live for another day, perhaps until the settlers come again to erase the only proof that the farmers have that they are farming the land -their land. To not do so, means they lose it.

Back at Dahers', I finished the planting of the family trees on the north side of Daher's 100 acre farm, now surrounded by new settlements since I was here last. I remained on the slope with the planting until nearly sun set. As I completed my work, and looked across the valley to the West, where one could almost make out the Med. Sea. I took out my harmonica, as I have done many times these last few weeks at very special moments, and played some songs of peace and love. I could almost hear the echo from the hills across the way where one of the settlements stood at the top of the ridge on prime land. Daher was off to attend a funeral of a friend in Beit Jala. His mother, Maladie and two young volunteers from Germany, who were doing alternative civil service, and I, joined together for a dinner around the outside fire place where most meals are prepared and eaten. The Israelis still haven't granted permission for electicity and water, but the Nasser family persist anyway. What enormous patience they show in the face of overwhelming power. Let us hope that the Israeli courts end this struggle by granting them their rights to their own land. In the meantime, they persist.

That evening we all hung out on the porch of their house, the two German volunteers and one Austrian woman who had been doing volunteer work since last April, smoked from a water pipe together. After a meal of fruits and vegetables from the farm, we huddled closer to the fire for heat, as the days are warm, and the nights are chilly. I borrowed Daoud's guitar and we sang songs, including Christmas carols and such for a few hours before retiring to bed, after a long but amazing day. It felt good to be "on the land" as Daoud says. It is such a peaceful place, an unlikely contrast to what goes on outside his farm, where settlers hover to absorb every acre they can. I can't help believe that justice will prevail.

See you in a few days.. Love, Bill

2 comments:

music not war said...

Bill-
I love reading about the planting. I long to hear the story first hand.

I am sorry your flight is delayed. I gather you won't arrive home before Thursday. I look forward to talking with you whenever you finish your rest.

Peace,
Bill M.

Bill said...

Good morning Bill,

I am rested, fired up and ready to go! Bill