Friday, December 21, 2012

This is my fourth day in Israel. The longest period of time I have ever spent this side of the "green line" and every changing boundary. The contrasts of life in Israel for the Palestinians are sharp compared to life in the occupied territories. The "occupation" I fear is more subtle on this side of the  Line but just as destructive. I am reminded of my experiences in the three day prison stay I had during my Outward Bound days in Colorado. After two days. I learned that there is the phenomena of choice between doing "good time" and " hard time". Good time is when you decide to leave all connections with the outside world, and hard time is when you try to maintain contact with your family and previous activities. Such an approach as the latter means that the days drag on for you as an inmate. Most don't have a choice.  I liken the "choices" to what the Israeli Palestinian must do in order to survive, or at least consider. The discrimination,both subtle and apparent, is restrictive in different ways.

This past year, from January to June, according to Mosawa, the Israeli Arab human Rights Organization, the Knesset considered over 37 bills to restrict the Arab citizen lives such limiting moving into some areas of the State, or denying the Arab to live with a spouse from the West Bank Israel. The door is closing more and more.  Most all Arabs in Israel speak both Arabic and Hebrew. I have spent some time with a family here who have been successful academically and vocationally. However, I sense there are some limitations that I need to learn more about such as access to certain higher income jobs because of the importance of service in the army as key to one's future. But in spite of any form of discrimination, they persist.  Imagine what they could do with greater opportunities.

Life with the family here in Isofia is quite wonderful. The daughters of the family who live
nearby come regularly with their children.  It makes a connection for me with my own family.
By now, I am a familiar face to all of them.  When I played my harmonica last night, it was an instant
success, and the harp continues to do its magic.

On Tuesday, through the graces of Ted and Jane Settle who are in the village of Ibilin for the school
year as volunteer teachers, I had a meeting with a small group of Menonites from Canada.  Cathy
Bergen, from the Quaker Meeting Center in Ramallah, was leading the group.  We met with
Father Elias Chacour, the Archbishop of the Greek Church in the Galilee.  I last heard him at
opening worship at the General Assemly meeting in 2008 when he said, |"pray not the Palestinians,
they will be fine.  Pray for the Israeli peace activists, they are in great need".  When I mentioned
that to him, he said, "And today, there are no more peace advocates".

I was struck by Abuna's approach to the group when he dismissed his piety, and said,  "I have
nothing that important today/  IF you have read my books, you know my story.  If not, you should
buy my book when you leave,  the first one."  And then he said, "What you all are thinking, is more
important.  What brings you here?"  And then, each of us shared our story.  \\After  he heard from
us, he thanks us, and talked about conditions at the present for the Palestinians.  He referred to what
he heard the group say previous and made ties to that with his own narrative.

As he told his story, he talked about the roots of the present people and remarked that we are simple\
people, "We live close to the ground.  We are farmers" Jesus of 2,000 years ago walked among us, attended our weddings, visited our homes, "hung around with our children".  Abuna the said, "I have a fig tree outside my house.  Every time I walk beneath it, I can\t help but think about Jesus's
story.  He then referred to Pentacost and that Jesus did two things.  First he cleansed the earth and then sent the Holy Spirit.  He said that Jesus called us all to be children of God.  That applies to us
today, each one of us.

In reference today's Palestine, he said, "My passport has a 02 stamped on it.  The Jews have 01.  I don't mind a 2 every one else has it also, or that we all are 1's.  My passport also says,"Arab" for nationality.  Arab is not an nationality.  He then talked about the denominational break down of
150K Christians in Israel, all divided by where we sit around the communion table.  "For what?", he said.

2 comments:

music not war said...

"and today there are no more peace activists". What a statement.
Another piece of the Israeli soul is gone...

Wasnt Jesus a peace activist... And a Jew?

Bill said...

Thanks Bill for your comment. I wished I had more internet access to read it while I was there, but I knew you were keeping an eye on me. Thanks, BiLL