Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Biking around the Sea of Galilee

After a very intense week, I took a break in the action with a strong urge for a different type of venture, one of ADventure. Two weeks ago, I awoke with the idea of renting a bike and riding around the Sea of Galilee. I had heard about the possibility from fellow travelers last year, and decided to DO IT! After all, that kind of spontaneous inspiration is to be listened to. It's for certain to be memorable, and it was. As I tell my grandsons, importance to have adventures in your life, especially if they are shared ones.

Walking many miles each day, and sitting many hours listening to people's stories, requires another outlet for me, often a space to process the enormous amount of information that one receives on such a trip. For most of my life I have ridden my bike as a way to find balance. My friend Larry can affirm that belief. Besides riding a bike is less stressful on certain parts of the body and requires another set of muscles than those used for walking hills, of which there are many here.

I had done some background reading before the trip, so I knew kind of what to expect. There is nothing like reality to inform opinion, though. My goal was to do the whole circuit, about 40 miles or 5-6 hrs. of riding. I reflected upon recent experiences in Cape Breten, Nova Scotia, and concluded that was doable. I hadn't contemplated what that might mean in the desert. I went through 32 MLS in the first two hours! Good thing I brought an extra 16 ounces and back up.

I arrived in late morning from Nazareth by bus, found my hotel near the bus station, and quickly located the nearest bike shop with help from hotel staff,and off I went
to make the arrangements. I could have the bike for the day at a cost of 70 NS or about $20. I was ready. Then they brought the bike, a clunky muddy mountain bike which was far from what I was used to. I asked if there were a lighter weight road bike, and the renter said that the tires were thinner on those and more vulnerable to flats. Besides. the mountain bike would enable me to go off the road. After saying that they would fix the flat on a call, but would have to charge if I didn't make it all the way, my anxiety level hightened. With those encouraging words, I headed off with five hours of remaining sunlight and a tad bit of doubt in my mind.

Soon into my ride, and the steep hills which was described in the blogs, I soon wondered if I could even do half the trip. I limited my goals by the mile as I looked ahead at the hills, and the various places to visit, off in the distant, and unmeasurable haze. The scenery was fabulous and after distancing the city, the solo ride became more tranquilizing, and energizing as I pedaled the hills. I passed a few Israel Agricultural Kibbutzes(sp) with large fields of bananas. Feeling the need for potassium and free and abundant fruit, I stuffed myself with these tasty fruits and thanked the farmers, wherever they were, for their work. I must admit, I felt slightly guilty to eat the fruit - where does that come from biblically? hmmm.

Into my third hour,I realized that finishing the whole trip was not going to be possible, given the gauge of my reserves, and the Jordanian peaks on the other side. I decided to try to get to the ancient city of Capurnium, before heading back. I wasn't certain I could even get that far. I was a little concerned that I had overshot my own capabilities. Onward to the "city of Jesus"!

I passed Tabba, the Mount of Beatitudes on my right, and finally the ancient city itself. I had made it! In the stretch between the place were Jesus is said to have broken bread and where he preached, I discovered a tiled bike path, away from the traffic, and the endless line of tourist buses. There were two small benches overlooking the Sea. At the first one, I pulled out my "harp" and played a few pieces that provided a connection of the Spirit that I have never found at the stone monuments erected by church groups over time. These pauses were worth the whole adventure, and provided fuel needed to return to Tiberius and a fading sunset. The desert gets cold in the evenings, but I was feeling the warmth from such an experience, that only such rides on the bike provide me.

When I arrived back at the bike rental, I felt a certain sense of satisfaction of the ride which overwhelmed any initial disappointment I might have had in not completing the whole circuit. I was really pleased after telling the owner about how far I traveled,and he said, "you did the hardest part of the trip. The rest is fairly flat and the tail wind would help you." I said to myself, "the summit is in the climb". No importa! I returned home now fully satisfied with the experience, and appreciative of my safety- a concern of my family and friends I know. B-

No comments: